10 September 2020
This policy explains how Cygnus Law Ltd (we, us, our) collects, uses, discloses and protects your personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and includes the individual’s name, address, phone number and email address. This policy also informs you of your rights in relation to your personal information. We may update this policy at any time by posting it on our website. We encourage you to check this page for any changes and you will be deemed to be aware of such changes.
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information from you whenever you interact with us, for example when you subscribe to our blog or when you contact us directly. We will collect information directly from you or any person you have authorised to provide information to us, and hold that information.
We do not collect personal information from you when using the website, except where you subscribe to the blog. We may collect technical information whenever you access or use our website including details of your visits to our website such as traffic data, location data, website analytics.
Use of your personal information
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to engage you or the person you represent as a client of Cygnus Law;
- to check for and manage commercial or legal conflicts of interest;
- to respond to communications from you;
- if you are a subscriber of our blog, to manage your subscription;
- to send you updates and publications that we think you may be interested in;
- where we have your consent to engage or provide information to third parties on your behalf;
- when you apply to be employed, or contracted, by Cygnus Law, for recruitment, employment and contracting purposes;
- in connection with protecting and/or enforcing our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim or other action;
- to comply with our obligations at law;
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Privacy Act.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- service providers who support provision of our website and services (including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide our website) where necessary for that business to provide those services to us;
- lawyers, other professionals and our insurers (and their advisers) in connection with protecting and/or enforcing our legal rights and interests;
- any other person authorised by the Privacy Act or another law;
- any other person authorised by you.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised use or other misuse.
Any personal information you provide is stored by us (or a service provider contracted by us for that purpose). Your personal information may be held and processed outside New Zealand by our service providers.
Viewing and changing your personal information
You have the right under the Privacy Act to access and/or correct your personal information held by Cygnus Law. If you would like to do so, or to be removed from the blog mailing list, please contact Cygnus Law by phone (09 390 3228), email (email@example.com) or post (PO Box 8142, Symonds Street, Auckland 1150).
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, any information you provide over the internet is provided at your own risk.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. Please note that those websites will have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility for the actions of those websites.